Tuesday, August 28, 2007

To Tell the Truth... or Not?

I got the biggest kick out of this article and then felt compelled to share.

The big question for today’s ex-stoners: Should I tell my kid that I’ve gotten high?

I spent six years in the Navy, enlisted at seventeen. My mother, who was a saint (just ask here, she'll tell you all about it!) So, at seventeen, coming from a drinking and smoking (cigarettes) family and being told "Don't do drugs! They will make you loopy." I enlisted and breezed through boot camp (Dad was obsessive compulsive) then it was off to air crew school. I was one of seven children - smack dab in the middle to be exact. I was a mousy child, quiet (stop laughing) shy and reserved. Then I graduated.

Feeling like I had spent my entire life under a thumb, I was now, finally free with a massive ego to boot. If anyone out there thinks I was an angel, think again.

My roommate and best friend rented a little house right on Pensacola beach and I bought an older Porche 911, mint green. I was seventeen.

Now, let's fast forward. I have two sons that thanks to their disappearing dad, I raised alone. I was three months pregnant with my youngest when he split. My oldest, now a coasty, took life in stride. He never questioned, helped, got great grades and was never a moments problem. My youngest (and my retirement plan) questioned everything. He wasn't a disciplinary problem by any stretch of the imagination. But he was inquisitive and asked about my "pre-parental" life. He asked about his cocaine addicted father and several other almost embarrassing, probing questions.

Well, here's the question. What would you do if your child asked you straight out if you ever smoked pot? Anything harder? Would you lie? Would you tell the truth? I know what I did.

6 comments:

Vigilante said...

I'm old enough to be able to tell all, because I regret nothing. My kids were raised in a very liberal, honest and tolerating home. And all four of them are great people, out-earning me, and their kids will be better than mine are. I'm telling you this because I know you told your kids the freaking truth.

Ziem said...

Yeah, I did.

"Don't do drugs!" Comming from a woman who "sainted" herself just didn't hold a lot of water for me.

I took a two year leap over fools hill and wouldn't change a thing!

I told mine everything. We laughed at the funny times and talked about the bad and their effects, not just on the user, but the family and friends. I too raised my boys in a liberal household. I never lied to them and for that, I'm not above them (like moms of the 50's and 60's were taught to be) I'm human and they know that.

My oldest is in the coast guard and has been for 6 years. He out ranks me. He owns a new car and an adorable house. He travels and is a sweet, responsible, human being. He's 24

My youngest is my musician. He's heading out on his U.S. tour in October. He has a great apartment over the square in Prescott, Az. His music pays his bills, he landscapes part time "for inspiration" and a "workout someone else pays for." (his words not mine.) In his spare time he attends college. He's completely self supporting. He's 21.

So yes Vigil, we did good! Let the neocons believe they have the corner market on family values and moral authority. We certainly know better, don't we?

Undeniable Liberal said...

I leveled with my kids and told them all about it, while warning them that some people just can't handle it and make it too important.

Anonymous said...

I'd introduce my kids to the bong.

They are going to need it.

Anonymous said...

They (21, 18, & 16) already asked and I told them the truth.

fallenmonk said...

I have found over many years that the truth is always easiest in the end. You don't have to worry about being found out and you don't have to keep track of the lies.
Your kids know who you are "warts and all" and would know somewhere in their heart that you were lying to them anyway.
Wide open two way is the name of raising good kids and having them as friends as well.