Monday, March 26, 2007

Gods Will?

It's people like Coulter, Malkin, Rush et al. that have prompted me to write this.

I was doing the "guy thing" with the remote the other day, flipping through channels without really stopping to watch. I paused on this man, forgive me, I didn't even bother to catch his name, though the channel was - surprise, surprise - fox news. He stood there all smiles and announced loudly, "God isn't allowed in our schools, but we can't get Gore out!" my middle finger, with a mind of it's own, came to attention and the channel surfing ensued.

Believe or not, I think we need to talk about God and what he would think about the religious right.

I was raised Methodist. My Gram and I went to church almost every Sunday, until, that is, I found out that the religion didn't recognize homosexuals. I then went on a Bible reading frenzy. Not just one Bible, several. Interestingly, they are not all the same. Though, the basic teachings are. I don't want to get into the different religious beliefs, just the basic teachings and lessons taught in all Bibles. For the record, I am not an atheist. I do not belive in organized religion. However, I do have respect for those who do.

Long before the Crusades, man was waging wars in the name of God. Bushco and his ilk isn't any different. Hell, the KKK believes they are on a mission from God too. They raise signs stating that God is white.

Let's pretend Jesus is alive and standing in the middle of Baghdad. A show of hands, how many think he would be smiling at our "spread of democracy"? Would the limbless and bleeding children make him happy? Bombed schools? Morgues overflowing with battered, innocent bodies? Do you think that standing there in all of that carnage, he would pat Blair and Bush on the back and say, "Nice job?"

Now, put him in the middle of Gitmo.

The Oval Office?

Yet, these same people who stand behind a Bible they have never read, believe these things are Gods will.

Now, let's pretend Jesus is standing on the court house steps as a newly married couple comes out, smiling. What would be more important to him, the love between two people or the sex of those people? Did he not teach love and tolerance and did he not warn against judgment? If two women or two men came out those doors as a married couple, would he smile? Or smite? If God created all things, and homosexuality is NOT a life choice, then who are the religious right to judge his creation?

Yes, yes, I know, the neocons will point to a passage that stated this is a sin. So is murder. So is killing, so is coveting - as in oil. So is baring false idols - as in saints or oil. So is gambling and drinking. Ever been to a Catholic fund raiser? But tell me, did they - as they point to this tiny passage in the big book, ever read the part where it says it's okay to stone your son if he disobeys you and it's okay to sell your daughter if you need money for crops?
Before anyone gets all up in arms over that last sentence, if you read the entire chapter, you'll see that these are the reasons for the downfall of a city, not rules to live by.

The right prefers to pick and choose what passages they like and those they discard. They prefer to hold those dear that allow them their evil ways - all in the name of God.

Ask any white Christian what color Jesus is. Go ahead, do it. I don't think the answer will surprise you. Now, tell them he was black. Ah! That one could be the beginning of Armageddon!

Now, let's think about what God would say knowing that the Neocons are dead set against things like Charity. They are against a minimum wage increase, using tax dollars to help the poor and the homeless (though using them to kill the brown people is a-okay!) Do you really think God is against charity?

What about the planet? What about the statement made by Mr Whoever-his-name-is going on about keeping Gore and global warming out of schools? Ah, what a good Christian he must be! If God created the Earth and left it to us to take care of, do you think he's smiling at this idiot or Gore?

A good Catholic once asked me, "If you never again see a spotted owl, would it affect your life?" YES! He believes that oil is more important than the creatures of this planet, more important than than our fragile eco system, more important than our future generations.

My point is, they do not live by the teachings of the Bible. They judge, they lie, they covet, they see money as the all mighty. They hide behind a Bible they have never even bothered to read and demand that you live with their rules and beliefs. Coulter herself says she is lead by her religion. Ever heard a word she says? She could be speaking truth if her religion is Satanism. Same for the rest of the right-wing-nuts. These people and their warped views of God and religion have created more atheists than Darwin.

My religious beliefs are mine. I will not ask you to believe the same. I'm a spiritualist. I belive in the teachings of the Bible. It's what makes me a liberal.

5 comments:

Faded said...

Sigh. If only more christians followed in the footsteps of Christ and believed more about getting to the kingdom of heaven than they do in creating their kingdom on earth, the world might be alright.

Ziem said...

Amen my friend. You have hit the perverbial nail on the head.

fallenmonk said...

Not everyone seems to be capable of growing spiritually enough to escape their need for a formal and controlling religion. It's a shame more people don't as they would as Fade says realize that here and now is their opportunity to create "heaven" and not some dim afterlife.

Anonymous said...

It seems so clear, that the most organized religions have became, in varying degree, politisized. This to me, despite of my total lack of having one custom made spiritual haven for me, represent broadly speaking the same interfearance as judiciary is under from many political leaders.

In the both cases, it is wrong and couldn't possibly guarantee that the justice will be done or that the believers' spiritual needs could be met. All I am seeing is, the troubles in N.Ireland, burning villages in Kosovo, destruction in the Middle East, circular violence in the never ending feud between Muslims and Christian in the most of Western Africa and on and on.

When you have a person like myself, there is never an issue of if my god is better than yours. I also couldn't care less if you believe that indeed yours is so good that I just simply must convert to yours. My god, whatever it might be, lets you to live the way you prefere as long as you do respect the laws of the land and don't get a stupid idea of forcing your religious tenets on unwilling me.

And btw, I will never partissipate in any war that is fought for my god and the same goes with yours, too.

Anonymous said...

Amen sister. Religon has not been a good thing for this country. As a recovering Catholic I can testify to that.