Friday, March 30, 2007

Oil, Guns and Money

Ever wonder what the rest of the world thinks about us? Our policies? Our wars?

I do.

Let's be completely honest. The Iraq war really only concerns me because I'm dead set against the invasion and occupation of an innocent country. I don't live the hell these poor people live. I am not woken up in the middle of the night by U.S. and coalition forces raiding my home. I am not afraid of a car bomb going off in Safeway. I do not worry about the violence of road side bombs and civil wars and war atrocities in my neighborhood.

I can't even imagine what that must be like, living every day with the fear and the blood and carnage - and the growing hatred.

As my friend Stram over at 15 Seats knows, I read Al Jazeera almost everyday. I do so because I don't feel as if I can trust our own media to give truth - just their spin. Every so often they throw out a subject and people write in about it.

Iraq war anniversary: Your views

The US senate has approved a bill calling for American troops to be withdrawn from Iraq within a year despite Mr Bush vowing to veto any bill setting out a timetable for withdrawal. Will a troop pullout improve the situation in Iraq? Send us your views.


It's not so much the question that interests me, it's the responses.

To MidEastChange, , USA: You are so misled by the propaganda in your country. The war was not about weapons inspections, WMD or UN resolutions - this was a cover for the real reasons which are clearly control of the oil, resuming trade of in in US$ and the security of Israel. And you say the Iraqis should not have shot at your planes - what were they doing there in the first place? Violating sovereign air space. Also if you want to talk about violating UN resolutions perhaps you should look at Israel's record.
Shafiq, Dhaka, Bangladesh

The Democrats like every American you hear are trying to be first nationalist patriots. Where then can we state that some Americans are trying to be fair. Why occupy Iraq till 2008 - to complete your oil contracts? Let us be clear, like hijacking sometime ago, suicide bombers are the last resort of a people up against the wall. The question in everyone's mind should be, will America have peace whatever it does? One nationalist soldier of God is all one needs.
rainmaker, , India

I am amazed at how many people on this website support or try to justify America's crimes against humanity. Where is morality, truth and justice in this day and age? The extreme capitalists and pro-war lobby seem to be happy to do anything including killing innocents to achieve their goals. I am disgusted at humanity.
Shafiq, Dhaka, Bangladesh


These are just a very few. It's heartbreaking to read what those affected by our arrogant government have to say about us. We, as a nation, are viewed and judged by the actions of our government. A government that should not only be ashamed, but be held accountable for crimes committed in our name.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This kid on television is just killing me

Anonymous said...

To think we had almost the entire world behind us when we were going after the terrorists who actually attacked us.

Even the Iranians offered to help us go after the Taliban.

George Bush set this country back 50-100 years.

Me said...

I have a friend in Belgium and one in England. Trust me, they both utterly despise Dubya and his wars.

Ziem said...

What this idiot has done since 9/11/01 is not only degrading to the constitution but illegal and immoral. What he's done to the good standing of this country and in the eyes of the world is shameful and embarrassing.

Hill, fortunately 80% of Americans agree with them.

Anonymous said...

This post of yours, ziem, once again reenforces my idea about you as an humanitarian with the amazingly broad scope. It is so very easy to feel for those of whom are our country men and not just "them". You never fall in this narrow trap that the most of us do.

Quite some time, I have been wondering why is it that Americans seem to be more warlike than today's Europeans? The only viable explanation I can come up with is, that the insane and bloody destruction during the 20th century might has given us finally good enough lesson to think twice about using war as tool to solve our international problems. It took basically the whole damn century with tens of millions dying, whole sale destruction of nations and their economies and untold horrendous miseries there of to finally cristyllize in the minds of most in Europe to refuse having this sort of an insanity.

You, the Americans, haven't gone through any of that and I am glad that this is the case for you. However, every time you go to a war, it happens thousands of miles from your own shores and no matter how much it inflicts pain to some of you, it hardly can be compared to the wars that rage right at one's home.

We can debate what the American wars were before this absurdity in Iraq and what the merrits were, but I am sure that you can agree with me that non of them were conducted for any lesser reason than this one.

Ziem said...

Pekka, you are absolutely right. The last was fought on American soil was, what? The Civil War? Right? So, we don't know what it's like to be bombed and live everyday in REAL fear. I do mean real, not manufactured by our government, like the Iraqi's of today or the Koreans, Vietnamese or the Europeans of the WWI and WWII.

You are too sweet! The truth is, I can't understand why people don't "see things" as I do. I feel for all people. I don't see color or sexuality or nationality, none of which makes a good person or a bad person. I just see good and bad. Maybe it's my upbringing? My grandfather was like that, so was my dad.
I remember watching the news with my grandfather way back when, during the Vietnam Conflict. They were showing protesters on the tv. My gram rambled something about no one wanting to fight for this country anymore and left the room. My grandfather raised his beer glass (yep, we're alot alike..) and said, "democracy in action, don't ever forget it." I don't think I ever did.
My dad taught me to take nothing for granted, question everything. Hell, even used car salesmen hate to see me comming.

So, kind sir, I will accept your sweet compliment on their behalf. Thank you!