Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Congress - Draw the Line

Where Congress Can Draw the Line



No war with Iran

If we could trust the Administration’s ability to judge America’s rational self-interest, there would be no need to constrain its threatening gestures toward Iran. Everyone would understand that this was part of the negotiation process; no one would worry that the Administration would finally take a step as self-destructive as beginning or inviting a war.

This is an article written by James Fallows. I agree with him. He has somw great ideas and great insight.

What the Congress can do is draw the line. It can say that war with Iran is anathema to the interests of the United States and contrary to the will of its elected representatives. And it should do that now.

3 comments:

fallenmonk said...

After the vote yesterday to kill the "non binding" resolution I have doubts about whether Congress will ever be able to stand up against Cheney and Bush. It will be a tragedy if we have to wait until 2008 to get a super majorit...if then.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, Ziem, James nailed it. Unfortunately, I have to agree also with Monk's seemingly pessimistic view about the willingness of the Congress to do the right thing.

There is more than a whiff of batterd wife syndromme here. "It's awfully hard with this man but for the sake of the kidds....and it could be worse....at least I have a roof over my head".

Ziem said...

I think you both have a good, valid point. I have spent many an hour writing to my congress-people telling them exactly where my vote will go next. Unfortunately, for right now it's all we can do.