Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Justice?

You and six of your closest friends kidnap a 52 year old grandfather, kill him and then stage a cover-up. You get caught eventually. What would be your sentence? Life without parole? Twenty years to life?

Not if you're one of these guys.

A US Marine has pleaded guilty to charges of conspiracy to commit murder and kidnapping in connection with the killing of an Iraqi civilian last year.
Lance corporal Robert Pennington, 22, became the fifth US serviceman to admit involvement in the death of Hashim Ibrahim Awad in Hamdania outside Baghdad on April 26, 2006.

Prosecutors say seven Marines and a Navy medic kidnapped Awad from his home and killed him before staging a cover-up to make it look as if the 52-year-old grandfather was an insurgent.

Four other servicemen have already pleaded guilty to charges relating to the case and have been given custodial sentences ranging from 12 to 21 months.


Being ex-military myself, I found military punishments harsher than civilian. Until now. Maybe I'm becoming a conspiracy theorist. This just seems to ooze cover-up to me.

6 comments:

fallenmonk said...

Yeah I seem to remember you could get a couple of years for being AWOL. I think they used to bury you under the brig for anything like murder. These sentences seem pretty light but they may have admitted to lesser crimes and the government might not have had rock solid cases against them for the heavy charges. Who knows.

Anonymous said...

i wonder what kind of adjustment time the new soldiers ae going to need after fighting Bush's War. It may not be too easy for them to come back to American suburbs and cities.

Ziem said...

I had a friend in the Navy that bought a car off of an exiting officer. She had the car for about 6 hours, long enough to register it, title it and insure it and return to base. Upon that return, she was subject to a random search. They combed the fibers of the carpet with a tiny comb and found one seed. ONE.
This girl was my friend and roommate, we were inseperable. Our drug of choice was beer, and only beer. This poor girl got more time for a first and only offence that she was in no way guilty of, than these seven.

It just seems to me that it might be probable that this was a direct order and they were given light sentences for their silence. At least that makes more sense than 12 to 21 months for kidnapping and murder. Hell, you'd get that alone for disgracing the uniform.

OMG! I've become a conspiracy theorist! See what their lies have done to my brain? ;o)

Anonymous said...

Using the logic, and I don't have too much of that, I have to go with the lady of the house, Ziem. Smells to high heavens to me.

We all know, that the first causualty of war is the truth. Longer the damn thing lasts, less there is normal human behaviour and consquently more cover ups, misinformation, propaganda and lies. By no means am I suggesting that this is an American phenomenom because it isn't, but what I am saying is that justice among the millions of other good things has to take the back seat during the wars. The brutalizing effects will work their way, to some extent, everywhere.

I spent Christmas in a military stockade once. My crime - undone button on my jacket.

Anonymous said...

12 to 21 months for kidnapping and murder? Wow, that's absolutely shameful.

I read in my morning newspaper this morning a guy here in my home state got 30 years for trying to hire a hitman from his jail cell to kill his wife. He testified that he feared for his life from the 'hitman' but obviously it didn't do him any good.

I know our soldiers are under tremendous stress over there and I can see something happening, like mistakenly shooting someone they may have thought was a terrorist or something, but that type of crime is unforgivable.

Anonymous said...

Don't remember when, don't remember where, but I just recently read somebody rightfully declearing, that what we see is just a tip of a tip of a iceberg. I insist that the myth of a noble warrior is just that - a myth. We train people to become professional killers and hold them to the standards of choir boys. You can have one but you must drop the other. I know, if any body reads this, you, Yanks, are going to be upset. As I see it, you can look into the boo-boos of your elected officials just as long you don't touch your military. Looks and sounds like a Taboo to me.