Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Crossroads



Nope, I didn't get taken away in a paddy wagon headed for Gitmo. I didn't drop off the face of the Earth. I was, instead, abducted.

This good looking man comes into my office, hands me a cup of coffee and says, "Go for a ride with me."

Of course, I accept the coffee. The ride took a bit more prompting. I mean, there is a war to end, a good message to be spread, impeachments to demand, masks to remove from government officials, cities to help rebuild, much, much work to do. Right?

Needless to say, I went, partially kicking and screaming, but I did go. I am, now glad I did. We took a ride up to Flagstaff via Sedona and hiked Sunset Crater and the the surrounding Indian ruins. We then, headed up to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. We took long routes and stopped to see everything. The weather was beautiful and I must admit, it was a perfect idea. I got to clear my head and once again see the beauty in life that I used to see everyday.

My husband and I used to take long drives, maybe once a week, just so I could take some pictures and get inspired to paint. I haven't painted in three years.

During this road trip, I heard Rudys claim against Democrats and every imaginable fear tactic thrown out by the right.

I can not speak for anyone else, but as for me, I don't like being told what to think. I don't like being told to be afraid. I don't like being controlled with fear and threats of dirty bombs and evil doers. I don't.

Yes, 9/11 was horrific. It was terrifying and it tore a thread in our little fantasy of being above such things. But think about this:

Every year, we also lose millions of Americans to preventable accidents and disease. We're more likely to die on the road than as a result of Al Qaeda's machinations. Annually, we lose some 43,000 people to auto accidents. For the grieving families, that's 43,000 deaths too many. But, although we surely could reduce auto fatalities if we chose to make it our top national priority, the Bush administration has yet to announce a "War on Highway Deaths."

After 9/11, the Republican line was that all future terror attacks on U.S. soil must be prevented at any cost. That's the line Giuliani was parroting this week, but its effectiveness hinges on our collective willingness to let fear swamp our capacity to reason.

Contrast the Republican response to 9/11 with the Republican response to the Virginia Tech massacre. After the shootings, when many commentators suggested that we might consider tighter gun control regulations, most GOP leaders were outraged: The right to bear arms is sacred! The massacre didn't occur because guns are easy to obtain but because the shooter was mentally disturbed, and if he hadn't had access to guns, he'd have found some other way to kill people! No legislation can completely protect us against maniacs!


and this:

A survey by Alpha magazine revealed that three American hedge-fund managers earned more than $1 billion last year.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, Iraq burns. More than 3,100 Americans have died there, the equivalent of 100 Virginia Techs. Nearly 25,000 have been wounded in action, many of them gravely. And that's nothing compared to the number of Iraqis who have been killed as the country has slid into civil war. Fatalities among the civilian population are running about 3,000 a month. The Brookings Institution's latest Iraq survey carried one statistic that froze my blood: According to a recent poll, one in four Iraqis has personally experienced or witnessed the murder of a family member as a result of violence since the U.S.-led invasion. Dow 13,000, meet Iraq 13,000. That's approximately the number of Iraqis killed so far this year.


I, who hates the idea of control or being controlled in any way, shape or form learned something this weekend. I was controlled. We are being controlled, not by fear, but by anger, by frustration. How can we not be? We are bombarded with finger pointing, self righteous, fear mongering right.

I say let the right trade their lives and their freedom for fear. Let them be afraid, let them think like it's the Cuban missile crisis all over again and build bunkers in their back yards.

I will not. I will continue my work. I will see injustice, stupidity and corruption and show it. I will not give up on the human race. I will not give up on hope. I will, once again see beauty. I have already picked up a paint brush.

I see us as being at the fork in the road. One way, leads to fear of attacks and fear of terrorists. The other, leads to reality. We are not safe. We are not above all else. We just refuse to stop living because of it.

Which road would you chose?

12 comments:

FunkyTown Fighter said...

I choose the road to reality, because the other road turns you into a war-monger like Shrub! Good for you for picking up the brush again! After a horrible life changing episode that happened to me I too was scared of LIVING but I discovered the "Boogy Man" really isn't around every corner and I went on with my life head held up high. So for me I take the road less traveled by and hopefully learn something along the way. Society would like for us to live in fear but the only thing we REALLY have to fear IS fear itself! Good Post my friend!

Anonymous said...

Yes. Stop and smell the roses, but then roll up your sleeves and let's get to work. There are monsters aout there.

The pics are great.

Paul said...

Fear is an irrational response to terrorism Ziem, if we give in to that, we have lost.
When do we get to see some of your paintings?

Anonymous said...

I finished one today Paul. When you don't paint for three years you tend to have a stiff hand. It's not very good. Okay, it's terrible! How about I show you the good ones, as soon as I create them?

Peacechick Mary said...

She's back! I'm glad you got away. It's good to take some time to clear the mind of all the pain and sadness that goes with this. I hope you will post some of your paintings.

I am not afraid.

Anonymous said...

I started seriously wonder about what became of Ziem? I knew, that it wasn't because of your well had run dry but the possibility of this Preznit driving you to do some harm to yourself flashed in my mind a couple of times. You can understand my relief seeing you back doing what you are supposed to do - ENTERTAIN AND INFORM ME ME ME ME ME!

Ziem said...

lol Pekka. That is my goal dear, well... one of them.

Thank you Mary and yes it is. 3 days and I feel so much better! I once again have hope. Something I didn't even know I lost until I got back.

I will post my paintings, as bad as they are. Georgia O'keefe & Jackson Pollack are two of my heroes - obviously, not for the same reasons. Pollack for thinking ouside the box, despite the critics and O'Keefe for her love of shapes and color and light. My newest paintings are not doing these loves justice, but I intend to continue, despite my own critical views.

Donnie McDaniel said...

Sure the good looking man had to talk you into leaving! HEHEHE! Fear not, for we are the greatest threat to ourselves. Living in fear, is not in our best interest.

Ziem said...

It was more of a bribe Donnie. He promised me Mexican for dinner....

Yep, the way to this womans heart - good food and a lot of Impeachments.... hehe

sumo said...

I am not afraid of going places for fear of terrorists. I will go where I please...and if it so happens I meet the smokey end of a bomb blast than so be it. I am not going to stop my way of life because the right chooses to use these tactics on us. There may be monsters here...but I think they are of someone elses doing mostly. Not to mention the monsters in the madministration.

fallenmonk said...

Welcome back lady. Glad you had a good time. Looking forward to seeing the art.
We are reaching the climax point on Iraq very rapidly and with junior's bird to America and Congress last night it moves ever closer.

Vigilante said...

Stunning photos, Z!